Safe from Harm recognises that family violence and relationship breakdown cannot be addressed as isolated legal issues. Many people will also need help with emotional and parenting support, material and practical supports to increase safety and support with housing and finances.

The below is a non-exhaustive list of services that may be able to help with these things.

Phone 131 450 for free access to an interpreter. Ask them to call the contact number for the service you require.

In an emergency always call 000.

Please consider your safety when visiting websites containing information about family violence. Visit or the Office of the E-Safety Commissioner for technology related safety precautions you can take.

Relationship Services and Parenting Support

  • Family Relationship Centres Advice Line 1800 050 321
  • Parentline Victoria 132 289
  • Relationships Victoria 1300 364 277 (access for mediation for parenting agreements & low cost property division mediation)
  • Child Protection Crisis Line 131 278 / 1800 212 936
  • What’s okay at home? A website designed to help young people understand what family violence is, why it happens, how to recognise it and how to help others who are experiencing it.
  • Mensline is the national telephone and online support, information and referral service for men with family and relationship concerns

Emotional Support and Safety Planning – Family Violence

  • 1800RESPECT 1800 737 732 for online chat
  • Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria (03) 9486 9866
  • Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre of Victoria 1800 015 188
  • SmartSafe: Technology Abuse and Your Safety
  • Women’s Health West 9689 9588 – women’s wellbeing and support services
  • WIRE Women’s Information 1300 134 130
  • InTouch 1800 755 988 – for culturally specific assistance and migration assistance
  • Men’s Referral Service 1300 766 491 or online chat via Can help to refer men to support for changing their behaviour.
  • CoHealth 9448 5520 - offer specialist family violence counselling, social workers and related health services to support those experiencing family violence

Information about the law


  • Safe Steps 1800 015 188 – first contact point for crisis accommodation in family violence situations
  • Housing (24 hrs) state-wide referral for emergency housing 1800 825 955
  • Tenants Union of Victoria, phone 9411 1444 for assistance with tenancy issues. There may be options available to change names on a lease, end a lease early and to change locks on a rental property where there is family violence.
  • See the Victorian Government’s website for public housing information.
  • The Victorian Public Tenants Association advocates on behalf of public housing tenants. See
  • The tenants union runs an advice line specifically for public housing tenants: 1800 068 860 see

Financial Support

  • MoneySmart Financial Counselling Hotline 1800 007 007
  • Department of Human Services (Centrelink) — Parenting payments 136 150
  • Department of Human Services (Child Support) — Applying for child support 131 272
  • Anglicare – to see a financial counsellor – may assist to apply for government grants or loans such as Utility Relief Grants (for bills) or No Interest Loans (NILS) of $1500 for essential household goods.
  • Victims of Crime Help Line (7 days, 8am-11pm) 1800 819 817 – may assist with accessing counselling and expenses relating to changing locks and safety home security upgrades
  • Women’s Health West 9689 9588 – administer ‘Flexible Support Packages’ of up to $7000 to assist in things like relocation costs, medical expenses, home security
  • Bank – can open individual account for employment or Centrelink payments, contact hardship team to speak about paying accounts, keeping money safe and separation. Some banks now have family violence financial support available, for example Commonwealth Bank or NAB. For more information, check out Addressing Financial Abuse from the Commonwealth Bank

Useful Smartphone Apps